Dog Gone It

So, Saturday morning, my mom called me. Nothing out of the ordinary, or so I thought. It was around 10 AM. When I answered though, her voice caused me immediate concern. Then she told me, Lacie, my dog, was at the vet and to pray. "What happened?" I asked. They didn't know. The vet said she was in shock and said it could have been an allergic reaction to a bee sting or something.

I got Lacie when I was in college. I interned with the police department and we got a call about a puppy, tied out in a thunderstorm. We soaked ourselves to get her, and while we stopped at the police station to get keys to the animal shelter, this wet puppy stole my heart. She was at the shelter for two weeks, waiting for her owners to claim her, and when they didn't, I was there within minutes of her being up for adoption. When I went in to pay for her, they said she was no longer available, that she had just been adopted, but when I got into my car, she stood at the other side of the fence, looking at me. I went back and there had been a misunderstanding. A family had come in to get both boxer dogs available, her and a male, but only had money to afford one, so they had chosen the other one. She was mine. I paid and got her into my car. I named her Larceny and she quickly became known as Lacie. That same day, we took a trip to visit my friend, Jamie, in the next state over. While we were there, she slipped out of her collar and got loose, causing me to cry and search for hours. My trip was extended a day or two while we looked to find her, finally recieving a call from the police department there. A man had found her wandering around, and thinking she was his daughter's dog, took her into his car. When he arrived to deliver her safely home, or so he thought, he realized that he had "stolen" someone's dog and promptly took her in. We went back to our home and spent the summer, bonding.



However, school time came and I returned to campus, leaving Lacie at home with my mom and step-dad. They did not want me to get her, but they took good care of her while I was gone. When I got married and graduated, I tried to find an apartment that would allow her, but my mom convinced me to get a place in a better neighborhood that didn't allow large dogs. They continued to keep her. She became best friends with their other dog, a beagle, and she took care of him. My stepdad took her for runs with the four-wheeler and consistantly bragged about how fast she was. She became a protector of my mom. When we bought the house, we asked if they wanted us to bring her to live and they told us "no"...she was used to the farm. A small city yard would break her heart. So, she stayed there.



She was 8 1/2 years old and when my mom called me, I figured the vet would get her fixed up and send her home. However, when I had the sense that I needed to call my mom on Saturday around noon, no one answered and within moments, my phone rang and I knew when my mom spoke. Lacie had died. I cried. More than I ever expected that I would. More that I have ever cried for any pet. And then I cried more, because I knew that my pain was nothing compared to that of my mom and stepdad.

On Sunday, I decided to look online, on craigslist and shelter websites, looking for a boxer. I had an idea of what I wanted: less than a year old, housebroken, female. I also knew that we could not afford what breeders charge and I preferred to find a puppy that needed us. I did not connect with any of them and decided to not seek a dog out. Instead I prayed. "God, if you want this to happen, make it happen. If it's not now, that's fine. I trust you. I trust your will."

Today, I was on facebook. No surprise there. I'm in a virtual garage sale site and a post popped up: Does anyone want a boxer puppy? My brother has a female boxer, about six months old, that needs a good home.

I responded and began having a conversation with the girl that posted. I prayed. I told my husband to pray. We didn't tell our kids, but I set up a time this evening to meet her. And she sent me a photo. One thing that I knew was that I couldn't handle getting another puppy that looked like Lacie, with the fawn coloring. The photo was of a pup with a brindle pattern. I forwarded it to Jose who agreed that we should meet her.

As we were waiting to meet, we told the kids. They were immediately excited and wanted to take her home. When we pulled up to the drivewhere where she lived, she ran out to meet us. Lots of kisses were given and Teo began to run around the yard, with the dog right alongside him. At one point, she knocked him over with her butt and stopped, looking at him as if asking, "Are you okay? What the heck are you doing? Get up here and play with me!" and we knew.

They gave us what they had for her: a bed, cage, leash, and a rawhide. She crawled into the backseat with the kids, but ended up spending most of the ride in Jose's lap, drooling like crazy and kissing on him. She adjusted quickly to our house and the kids have done nothing but play with her. We spent some time in the yard, playing frisbee, and she met a couple of the neighbors. Earlier, she fell asleep in my arms. We have already fallen in love and know that this is the dog that we are meant to have. So, here's the newest addition to our family: Bella!

No comments: