RSVP: No.

In my 26 years of life, I have attended a handful of "parties" that women throw. You know, the ones where there is "no obligation to buy" but then you feel so guilty, you walk away spending over $50 and get two things that you don't really need.


I hate shopping to begin with. I am frugal and have problems saying "no" (read previous posts about boundaries if you doubt this). I am a salesperson's dream.

What is funny is that, in all my years of attending these parties with my mom or with friends, I have yet to walk away with something that is so beyond amazing that it has transformed my life, despite all the promises.

Mary Kay, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Pure Romance, Lia Sophia, Tastefully Simple, etc....although you all are lovely products, my life is not completed by you.

And, while I love spending time with my friends, I do believe that I would rather have a day of playing wii or shooting billards or just plain eating a meal together, than having someone tell me how amazing a product is.

Why are salespeople so good at what they do?

One time, we bought a Kirby from a kid with holey shoes that came bearing a bottle of hand soap. Kind of. But that is a story for another day. And one time, we bought a house full of windows from a man who came to the door. Kind of. But that is another story for another day as well.

I can see how weak I am in regards to door-to-door salespeople. And I know how weak I am in regards to sale-parties.

Therefore, for the same reason that I no longer open the door to someone holding a clipboard, flyer, or a bottle of soap (well, maybe with the bottle of soap, but only to take the soap, then tell them no and lock the door)...I will no longer attend your "parties".

Invite me to hang out, and I'll try my hardest to be there. Invite me to listen to a sales pitch and I'll have to deny. (And for those friends who are consultants themselves, keep rockin' what you do. I just don't have the willpower to say walk away without buying something that I don't need.)

So, what's the best and/or worst purchase you've ever gotten from a "party"?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good when you realize a weakness and know not to put yourself in the situation. I've been to 2 of these kinds of parties in my life. I only bought one thing one time-- the cheapest thing I could find in the catalog. This was at an Arbonne party that I felt like I was pressured into having at my house. It was the salesperson, her friend and myself. The other girl didn't order anything, so of course I felt obligated to get something. In reality, I don't feel these products are any better than anything off-brand. I'm not really into lotions, makeups or scenty things either. I am tempted to go to one of these purse parties though, because I have yet to find the perfect purse. I am staring to think that the "perfect" purse is "no" purse. Or maybe a belly bag or backpack:) But anyway, I usually don't feel like I have to buy anything unless I'm put in a situation like the one where I bought the Arbonne thing. I'll never do that again:)

Brenda

-T- said...

I feel the same way....however, add to that the fact that I feel the need to also host the next party! That being said, guess who's having a Lia Sophia and Tupperware party within the next few weeks...LOL
The best purchase I've ever gotten from these parties is probably my bakeware from PC... we are always using it for something!!