Quick Start, Never Finish

So, as I have mentioned before, I am a "starter"...but I struggle to finish projects.

At a conference I attended a few months ago, they discussed this. There are people that are wonderful at creating and getting a fire going and burning strong, but there are other people that are great at keeping the coals hot and not letting the flame burn out.

I'm a starter. I can think up these huge projects and get them into motion. I can start wonderful things. But then, the flame gets smaller and I don't know how to keep it from burning out.

My house, my life, is full of half-finished projects.

There is a half knitted scarf on the end table. My daughter's mural is half done. My computer houses a book that is half written. There are rooms that are half decorated. My scrapbook projects are all sitting in limbo, half completed. I have a half-completed concept of a mural business.

Half of me is filled with new projects to start. I have a desire to write a book about being a child of an alcoholic. And a book about how God has used an affair to save my life. I want to start *something* to work with family members of people in jail.

The other half of me wants to complete the projects started. To have that sense of accomplishment that I had something that I did from start to finish.

Maybe I should work on the scarf. It'd be the easiest battle to win...

2 comments:

Jill said...

I seriously think we need to work together someday in some capcity. I don't like starting projects, but I like to see them through to the finish. We would make a good team. and we would be even fatter because of it! ha!

carlasue476 said...

I've been needing a finisher to help me... :) It's funny because Tim is a starter too, so we're an awesome team for getting the ball rolling, but then, we have to hold each other VERY accountable for sticking to it...And we could do MANY lunch meetings...and dinner meetings...and snack meetings...and dessert meetings...yes!