Our City

As I begin reading a book lent to me by Pastor Tim called, The Suburban Captivity of the Churches, written before I was born, I keep thinking of my dear city. The city I call home.

I was born in this city, but moved to cornfields and attended school in a rural community when I was young (like 6 years old). I spent my weeks there, but was able to spend my every other weekend, occassional holidays, and two weeks in the summer with my father. Many of those days were enjoyed in this dear city. Special vacations were spent in other areas, including small towns and large cities. My favorite places we visited were New Orleans, Virginia Beach, and San Francisco. I have a thing for the social dynamics of urban life.

When I went to college, I was severely disappointed to attend a small school in another rural town. The education was phenomenal, but I often left and did the half hour drive to this city to see my boyfriend and the life the city offered.

Graduation offered the opportunity to choose where to settle. We married and had a bun in the oven, so we chose a nice, but inexpensive apartment complex near the suburb of the city. It offered us safety that could not be found inner city, but as I began working at my previous job, I had an office located in the heart of the city, mere blocks from where my dad still resides and where I spent many days and nights becoming a "city girl" at heart.

We love this city for many reasons: the variety of people, the small town feel within a larger city, the low cost of living, etc...but as I read the beginning of this book, I wonder, is this great city better or worse than its counterparts, smaller towns and larger metropolis areas? Do we deal better or worse than others in regards to integration? Race and gender issues? Crime? Financial standing? Do I love this city for its similarities or its differences?

I tend to think, but it may be more hope or ignorance than anything, that my beloved city is different. That we welcome people of all classes and races and religions into all areas, but that may be naivity. Or maybe thats just me. Maybe my failure to see people as colors or dollar signs or sexualities limits my ability to see truth of this city. Should I remove my blinders and take a look around me? Or will I not like what I will see?
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.1

No comments: