An Open Letter to My 31-Year-Old Husband

Being silly, as usual.

Dear Jose,

This morning, you woke up like any other, quietly getting out of bed and preparing for work without waking up me or our kids. You probably went to the kitchen and gathered your food for lunch, eating a quick breakfast, nothing distinguishing today from any other.

You went to work, taking care to make it on time, sitting in your car as you arrived earlier than needed. You probably played a game on your phone or listened to the banter of the dj's on the radio station that was playing. You waited until you couldn't wait any longer, then got out of the car, briskly walking into the warehouse with your co-workers. A few of them may have known that today was different and said something, but more likely than not, it was just like any other day.

However, to me, today isn't like any other day. Today is the day that I celebrate you. It was the day that God allowed you to enter the world, healthy and crying, like any other baby. Thirty-one years ago, your mother was in the hospital and she birthed you. And in those moments, your fate was already known and your life was already set forth by God. Although I was not even conceived yet, God knew that one day, this would be our life.

You were born to live the life you lived. And you were born to meet me at the park and one day marry me. And you were born to be a father. And you were born to love your Maker. YOU WERE BORN FOR THIS LIFE.

Growing up, you've shared stories about how birthdays were not a day celebrated or a day that meant anything other than adding a year when people asked you your age. Birthdays are not about cake or ice cream or presents. They are a way of taking time each year to say, "I am so happy that you were born," "I celebrate your life," and "You mean something to me." It is a way of giving praise to God for the work that he has done in your life. I am so grateful for the work that He has done in your life.

When I think back to the kid I met, 13 years ago, and then look at you know, I am proud of you and of all the hard work you have done to grow up. To become a man: a husband, father, friend, son, and a believer. I am blessed to have been able to witness a beautiful transformation: A life full of ungodliness, lies, and anger converted to faithfulness, honesty, and love. God has touched your heart, showing you forgiveness and mercy. And last year, you chose to be spiritually reborn.

To say that I enjoyed the transformation would be dishonest. I was right there, kicking and screaming, writhing in pain, numbing the hurt in unhealthy ways. And, because I am human, I will probably continue to kick and scream at times, but I am here, next to you, ready to watch you grow for the next 13 years.

So, today, here's to you, Jose. It is your special day and there are many reasons to celebrate the life that you were given. Today is the day to celebrate God's provision and grace and love. Today is the day when I honor you, for all that you've done for our family, the sacrifices you've made, the provisions you give. Today, I am thankful for your life.

P.S.Tomorrow, I'll return to nagging and pointing out your flaws.

I love you.
xoxoxo,
Carla Sue

This image fills me the joy: Jose reading his Bible
and planning a lesson for youth group

1 comment:

Tim Hallman said...

Thankful for the work you two are letting God do in you and through you!