Letting Go Of My Control: My Kids Are Not My Own.

In his chapter on belonging, Donald Miller (Father Fiction) dives deeper into parenthood. This is a dynamic that I need to dive deeper into myself...

In a discussion with one of his mentors, a father figure of sorts, Donald is told, "Sometimes, I don't even think of my kids as my own kids...I mean they are our kids and all, but really they belong to God. Terri and I had sex, but that's it. I don't know how to make a human being. God makes a human being."

Whoa. Knock my socks off (well, assuming I am wearing socks, which is quite rare)!

How often to I take claim over my kids. They are MINE after all. I grew them in my womb. I birthed them. They were created from my egg and my husband's sperm. They are OURS. Aren't they?



With Isa, we had no intentions of becoming pregnant. In all honesty, as much as we love and adore her, she wasn't a part of OUR plan...but she was a part of God's plan. And while we were trying to concieve Teo, he didn't come when we were wanting him, but he came when God wanted him to. So, who am I to make claim over my kids? How self-rightous am I to think that I had full control over their conception, so why would I assume that I have full control over them now?

Isa's at a mouthy phase in life. We often have arguements about who is the "boss"...and, we consistantly tell her that Daddy and Mommy are in charge, not Isa. I wonder how much impact we would have if we admit that, bigger than us, bigger than the control we have, is the Great Master. Would it change the foundation of our parenting if we commit to His control, if we submit and lift our children up to Him, glorifying Him for their lives and asking for help in child rearing?

Now, don't get the wrong impression. I constantly pray for them and pray for guidance in raising them, but what if that isn't enough? What if I need to succumb and break down my ego to say that I am lost as a parent without God...

No comments: