What Happens at TEC, Stays at TEC

[A note from me: I'm going to attempt to make each day have a type of meaning or topic so that I can try to post daily. Plus, it'll be good for me to focus. I'm quite spastic, in case you haven't noticed. And since yesterday was dedicated to allowing Jose to share, against his will, today will be Memory Monday. My entire post will be dedicated to a memory.]

Aubris, me and Jules during a break at TEC.
We basically had free run of the school after hours.
Yes, that skinny hot thing is me. I don't know what happened.

In high school, I was in TEC. Today, I can't remember what the acronym stands for. Heck, I can't even remember which shows we did. Basically, TEC was the building of the sets for the plays that the school did. We were also the cool people that wore all black and rearranged sets during the shows.

In case you haven't noticed, I don't remember much. I'm not sure what happened, but I remember that I enjoyed TEC, for the most part. Something happened at some point, however, and I ended up bailing. I wasn't contributing much to helping with sets and I basically got the ultimatum of be there more regularly or stop. I think I stopped. But I regretted it. I truely loved being a part of TEC. It was part of the development of who I am today.

If it weren't for TEC, I wouldn't have gained the skills that I have. Skills that have allowed me to this:


Or this:


Granted, not perfect, but still, pretty darn good for a chick and her hubs.

It also helped me grow my love for painting and doing creative things in general. Without TEC, I wouldn't have experienced such grand accounts of seeing something come to life from simple sketches.

And without TEC, I wouldn't have gained some amazing high school friends. Friends who stuck by me through my drama queen periods. Friends who stuck by me through some extreme depression.

One favorite memory from TEC: We would take breaks during making sets. Sometimes, breaks would be five minutes to go to the bathroom and get drinks and snacks. Sometimes, breaks would be long enough that we could run and get some drive through dinner. Sometimes, breaks would include some theater tag (which is when one person is "it" and everyone else hides anywhere in the theater, on stage, back stage, or in the pit...the twist is that all the lights are turned off, so we had to maneuver through the entire theater in pitch darkness). And sometimes, breaks were just a time to be teenagers and screw around. This particular break, I don't remember what was going on, but a friend, Beth, was in the show and was hanging around. She had convinced a classmate that she was a lesbian and that I was her girlfriend. Somehow, I was oblivious to this until she walked up to me one day and stage kissed me while he was standing behind her. In case you are wondering, her thumbs were between our mouths, so it was entirely fake. However, to this kid, it looked like she walked up, grabbed my face, and had at it. He flipped. And the best part is that no one was around to see it except him. The rest of the night, he walked around trying to convince everyone that we were lesbians, and in the end, he looked like he was insane. And for the rest of the show, and the rest of the school year, he went around trying to tell everyone that Beth and I were girlfriends. It was so funny! Plus, it was my senior year, so I was dating Jose and all of our friends knew it, but this kid was convinced. I'd love to see him now and see what he says...

What's one memory you have from high school of tricking someone?

No comments: